UPDATE: A very embarrassing “administrative oversight” means that the release of the final boundaries, due in September, has had to be abandoned. Notices for the earlier stages of the redistribution were not gazetted as required by the Electoral Act. The NT Solicitor’s office has advised that the process must begin again. It seems unlikely that this will substantially alter the boundaries drawn under the now abandoned process, but it is embarrassing and means the boundaries to be used for the 2024 election won’t be finalised until the new year.
The timeline for the initial stages of the re-started process is –
- Public suggestions open (30 days) – Monday 11 September 2023
- Public suggestions close – Wednesday 11 October 2023
- Comments on suggestions received open (14 days) – Thursday 12 October 2023
- Comments on suggestions received close – Thursday 26 October 2023
- First proposed redistribution released – Monday 30 October 2023
- Objections to first proposed redistribution open (30 days) – Monday 30 October 2023
- Objections against first proposed redistribution close – Wednesday 29 November 2023
The original commentary on the second draft is inside this post.
Read More »Northern Territory Redistribution – Draft Boundaries take 2